As we’ve gone through a number of files and specifically the new mandatory telephone mediations in 2019. Here is what is abundantly clear.
- The Assessment Review Board has tilted the new process in favor of the assessor.
- The small property owner is definitely negatively impacted by the new Assessment Review Board rules.
- The cost to the small property owner is prohibitive.
- i) The provision for moving from the costly ‘General’ stream to the more simplified ‘Summary’ stream will never be permitted by the city and the assessor. ii) This should be automatic for all properties less than $15 million where the taxpayer makes the request.
- The new process front end loads the cost of litigation on the taxpayer.